Sunday, May 22, 2016

Frankenstein - Chapter 3

Well Vic’s life became awful pretty quickly. As he turns seventeen, Elizabeth comes down with a case of scarlet fever and, ignoring the advice of the doctors, Caroline tends to her daughter which causes her to get sick. Elizabeth gets better but Caroline passes away from her illness. Elizabeth in particular is apparently pretty shaken up over this. Which I mean, I totally understand! Even if I knew that it was Caroline’s decision to be around me when I was sick, I’d still feel all sorts of guilty if she got sick as a result of my sickness. Victor tries to console Elizabeth, but she’s trying to “be strong” and hide her grief (though I will say, we don’t really know much about Elizabeth other than what Victor’s projecting onto her).

Victor departs for university, saying goodbye to his family and his best friend Cherval, who had appeared last chapter but I didn’t mention because I can never be sure in these older books which characters will come back and be important and which ones act more as window dressing for other characters. So, because it seems we may see more of him—Cherval is Vic and Elizabeth’s friend who, growing up, was fascinated with knights, chivalry, and adventure. He comes from a merchant family and while he seems like he may be interested in going to university (again, could be Vic’s projection) his father sees the life of an academic as one of idleness that isn’t worth living. So Cherval, Elizabeth, and Vic’s father (still unnamed) bid him farewell.

Vic arrives at Ingolstoldt and immediately meets M. Krempe who…. Wow I didn’t think this book would speak to me on so many levels. So let’s talk about mentorship. I think toxic mentorship is probably one of those unspoken topics in academia that deserves a lot more attention than it gets. Here in the US, there are certainly more pressing issues attached to the academy that may warrant more immediate attention, especially relating to the political sphere (here in Illinois, particularly, we’ve been faced with financial concerns beyond the national as our state governor is…not helping, let’s say); but, I think that as far as promoting the spirit of the academy, and of knowledge promotion in general, we need to have a bit of a look at how we approach alternative knowledge, and specifically that sort of new fervor brought in by upcoming students.

I know this is getting a bit side-tracked from the book but I feel it’s appropriate given that I know where this story’s going, and Shelley’s taking the time to give us all of this background. I’ve been in toxic mentorships like the one Vic runs into with M. Krempe here. Ones where a mentor tells you that whatever you know is basically worthless to what you’ll be pursuing. When Krempe tells Vic that everything he’s ever learned is basically garbage, I had some serious rememberances of the times when I tell people one of my biggest influences in research is Carl Jung. Now, if I were studying research psychology, I would understand the objection probably (though I’d still maybe wonder about the usefulness of the rejection), but even in a more qualitative field like communication studies, I’m told by certain mentors that Jung is essentially worthless, and that, by extension, everything that could be gleaned from him is worthless.

I’m getting way too off track, so I’m going to return to the chapter. I really could go on about this all day. My point is that I’m in major disagreement with M. Krempe here about outright rejecting a student’s knowledge coming in, and that this stuff still happens in academic settings.
I’m lucky that my own advisor is more akin to M. Waldman, who Vic attends a lecture from. Waldman, while still practicing the more “modern” sciences, holds a respect for the alchemists and occultists who Vic read, saying that even if they were wrong, they laid the groundwork for later researchers, and should not be thought of as a waste. Waldman encourages Victor to go into chemistry, though I love the way he frames it. Saying that while chemistry is currently the most useful of the sciences, Vic would do best to learn from a number of different fields. I wholeheartedly agree with Waldman’s suggestion; and I realize some of this may just be because it affirms my own academic tendencies. I may be a communication studies student, but I also try to read from political science, artists, philosophers, mathematicians, psychologists, physicists and others. It’s all worthwhile to me, as long as the aim remains toward an advancement of knowledge, the method—qualitative or quantitative—doesn’t seem to particularly be of much import to me, as long as it’s rigorous.

[so I realize looking back over this review that it’s pretty me-centric rather than focusing on the book. I may go into these sorts of tangents if I feel my interests or areas are touched upon. I hope that it doesn’t alienate too many of you fine readers. I realize that there may be a lot of different opinions about the academy, and some of you may disagree with my assessments, or my interpretation of Vic, and I’m willing to continue having that discussion, certainly. However, I hope that whatever may come of it that the ideas presented therein will be respectful.]


No comments:

Post a Comment